Re: Important warning about Facebook groups for members of this community

Zelda

Since you asked...too much blather. Exhausted topic. Let it go.

On Sun, Oct 21, 2018, 11:51 PM Rob Gordon <caltrade@...> wrote:
I want to clarify that I am not accusing anyone of anything here - except possibly Facebook -  because I still don't believe that a human had anything to do with this, but I would like to know the facts.  Remember also, this happened on two different groups, so I am not saying anything about the PB over 40 Facebook group.   The "warning" I was issuing here had only to do with the way you word things on Facebook groups and I would advise against saying anything like:

"Wow - did you see that cool event they are planning over on Google Groups"

or even

"I don't like that Rob guy on Google Groups - I think he is a real loser"

All I am saying is that I suspect either of these statements could get you banned from any Facebook group as well.   If you don't believe me, try it a few times to see what happens.   I want to be fully transparent about what is going on so am posting the full comment I made on that group that apparently got me banned.  Please let me know if you think this comment is inappropriate or offensive in some way and should be cause for completely banning a person from a Facebook group - not just getting the comment removed but completely banning them:.  Here is that comment in its entirety:

@Debbilyn There is really nothing to it - to subscribe to the group go to http://pb40.club, click the "subscribe" link and enter the email address you want to use for it.  The to post to the Google Group simply send an email to pb-over-40@... with your topic in the subject line.  If someone responds, you simply reply to that message.  I am not always sure how to help people when they say it is "too hard" because there really isn't much to it.

Some of the confusion on the part of Facebook users may be coming from thinking it is a competing social network - it is nothing like that - it is a shared email list - that's all.  The people who got this group organized all agreed to share email addresses and to allow others in the group to send them emails. There are some security controls and delivery options for people who want to limit the amount of email they get but that is about it.

The wonderful party you and Joe threw could never have been as hugely successful without it I don't think - the Nextdoor app where many of us met just isn't set up for that and for all its faults Google Groups is a good organizing tool. I may not be perfect, but I do try to help when I can.

I do appreciate your respectful and constructive comments.  Actually though, people "not posting to both groups" is not the problem - it never has been.  When this Facebook Group started I thought it would be, but I was wrong - people did post to both groups and very little slipped through the cracks.  Recently, however, a few members seemed to have decided we don't have the right to exist and have used the system we set up to tell everyone they had to come to Facebook if they want to be part of the in crowd for this group.

The bonfire and cruise you had this weekend was I believe the first "Facebook only" event for this group.  I offered to help - and did make a calendar entry for it  - but there didn't seem to be much interest and by that time too much else was going on so I dropped it. My parents were promoters - and I do have some instincts for it so am willing to help when I can - but different kinds of events take different approaches and the host is always the one who calls the shots and decides who gets invited.

No one is under any requirement to post anything on the Google Groups shared email list  - we have good people in both groups and I think that will take care of itself.  All I ask is that people from here not attack us and refrain from trying to damage what we have built - and repeated promotion of the Facebook group there is completely unnecessary - we only have 130 member and every single one of them knows about this group.  If you are looking to increase numbers - more promotions on the "Social Pacific Beach" might work better - they have 5,000 members and this group could probably get a good chunk of them.

Thanks again for inviting me to your party - I don't get a chance to go to house parties very often so that was really special - plus the fact that you even use the word "inclusive" makes you a cool person in my book.

--
To view community on the web: http://pb40.club
To view community event calendar: https://goo.gl/P4p23X