Re: Intellectual discussions / philosophy / personal growth

Marie Lapointe

I'm in (then again I seem to hear myself say that a lot, and then my schedule doesn't give me much room for extra stuff) but I do find my life lacks in deep conversations. After all, if you want an extraordinary life, then you need to have extraordinary conversations!

Thanks for thinking of this Rob!

Marie

On Mon, Oct 1, 2018 at 6:13 AM Peter Hologram Man <peter@...> wrote:
Time provided, I'm in. I'll even bring my soapbox, actually it's more like Felix his bag of tricks soapbox because it changes depending on almost any idea that comes up! But I promise to pass the podium lol

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 5:09 PM Mariann Swauger <mswauger@...> wrote:
I would absolutely love something like this. I'm in!!! I don't normally get philosophical but I am in!

MT

On Sun, Sep 30, 2018, 4:56 PM Rob Gordon <rob@...> wrote:
At the happy hour Friday I got into a conversation with Alexis about the Bookworms Club and how we both liked "intellectual discussions".   At least that is what I think we were talking about.   That place was so loud that for all I know she was talking about the high price of eggs and I just thought that was what the conversation was about.

In any event, as I was making up the list of possible interests for that member survey form I realized something that one of my interests was missing - and in fact does not get satisfied all that often in my day-to-day life.   That interest is getting into conversations that "go deep" - that try to find deeper truths, or ideas and ways of looking at things that may help understand things at a different level.

Again, not proposing anything - mostly thinking out loud - but something like where a topic is proposed, and participants recommend blog posts, podcasts, youtube videos, etc so we can learn more about that topic, and then meet for a cup of tea or glass of wine and have an "intellectual discussion" - which would probably be interesting since we would all be better informed on the topic.

Like we are doing with the bookworms club, this could be at an easy pace - maybe meeting every six week or even every two months to avoid burnout.

I guess I must be old when an evening cup of tea and a good conversation sounds almost as appealing as a raucous party.   Would anyone else be into this kind of thing?

To view community on the web: http://pb40.club
To view community event calendar: https://goo.gl/P4p23X
---